It’s official: Craft Your Image is on.
I wasn’t sure up until this point whether I would continue to teach “Craft Your Image”, a course I designed and launched in the spring of 2013, to photography graduate students at the Newhouse School, Syracuse University.
The course is designed to do just some of the following:
- Help students feel more comfortable and confident entering the freelance world
- Educate the basics of managing finances (personal and professional)
- Create a website presence
- Get more clarity of their brand
- Zero in on their niche and specialized topics
- Wrap their heads around social media tools and its value
I’ve only taught this course for two semesters now and I took the feedback from the first class to apply to the spring 2014 class.
So, last spring, a few undergraduate design majors joined us. I’m proud to share that at least one photographer/picture editor and designer collaboration has turned into a more long-term partnership. It’s an outcome that makes me giddy.
And, I also brought in more speakers and more lectures on contracts, pricing, legal matters.
I was also able to bring in a few professionals to help fill in with their expertise:
- Seth Resnick, D-65 (Thank you Nikon, B&H. Seth also gave a talk on creativity to a larger crowd at night.)
- Matt Slaby, LUCEO
- Jen Lombardi, Kiwi Creative
- Alexis Lambert, Office of Mayor Alvin Brown
Next year I hope to bring in more great talent into the classroom via Skype.
Not everyone in the class felt the class was a success or that I was good at teaching. It’s never easy to hear that someone doesn’t like you or the way you do things (I’ve shared the more negative review below, too) but I was pleased to learn that most were extremely satisfied and felt it was worth their time and money.
Below are what the students had to say.
On the beneficial aspects of the course:
On whether the course made one think:
On whether the course would be recommended:
On my strengths as a teacher:
From what seems like the one person who didn’t like me, my teaching style or what I had to offer:
- Offer a similar course geared specifically for MPD (Multimedia Photography & Design) Design majors
- An online course for professionals, recent grads or recent freelancers
Interested in any of my future plans? Please let me know in the comments so I can go to the powers that be and show them real interest!